UC Berkeley Haas Deadlines, Essays & Recommendation Letter Questions (Class of 2016, Starting 2014)
[table id=115 /]
At Berkeley-Haas, our distinctive culture is defined by four key principles —Question the Status Quo; Confidence Without Attitude; Students Always; andBeyond yourself. We seek candidates from a broad range of cultures, backgrounds, and industries who demonstrate a strong cultural fit with our program and defining principles. Please use the following essays as an opportunity to reflect on and share with us the values, experiences, and accomplishments that have helped shape who you are.(Learn more about Berkeley-Haas' Defining Principles).
- If you could choose one song that expresses who you are, what is it and why? (250 word maximum)
- What is your most significant accomplishment? (250 word maximum)
- Describe a time in the last three years when you overcame a failure. What specific insight from this experience has shaped your development? (250 word maximum)
- a. What are your post-MBA short-term and long-term career goals? How have your professional experiences prepared you to achieve these goals?
b. How will an MBA from Haas help you achieve these goals? (750 word maximum for 4a. and 4b.)
- (Optional) Please feel free to provide a statement concerning any information you would like to add to your application that you haven't addressed elsewhere. (500 word maximum)
- (Optional) If not clearly evident, please discuss ways in which you have demonstrated strong quantitative abilities, or plan to strengthen quantitative abilities. You do not need to list courses that appear on your transcript. (250 word maximum)
Describe your relationship to the applicant. Are you, or have you been, the applicant’s direct supervisor? If not, what is the nature of your relationship? How long have you known the applicant and how frequent is/was your interaction with him/her?
How does the applicant’s performance compare with that of his or her peers?
What are the applicant’s two greatest strengths? What are the applicant’s two greatest areas (in need) of improvement? Please cite specific examples.
How does the applicant overcome negative outcomes? Please cite specific examples.
In the Berkeley MBA program, we develop leaders who embody our distinctive culture’s four key principles [www.haas.berkeley.edu/strategicplan/culture] one of which is “confidence without attitude” or “confidence with humility”. Please comment on how the applicant reflects this Berkeley-Haas value.