Duke Fuqua Deadlines, Essays & Analysis, Recommendation Letter Questions (Class of 2015, Starting Fall 2013)
[table id=109 /]
- Three short answer questions and two essays are required for all applicants.
- Responses should use 1.5 line spacing and a font size no smaller than 10-point.
- Responses must be completed before submitting your application.
- Prepare your responses carefully. The Admissions Committee considers your answers important in the selection process.
Required Short Answer Questions: Answer all 3 questions
Respond in 250 characters only (the equivalent of about 50 words).
1. What are your short-term goals, post-MBA?
2. What are your long-term goals?
3. Life is full of uncertainties, and plans and circumstances can change. As a result, navigating a career requires you to be adaptable. Should the short-term goals that you provided above not materialize what alternative directions have you considered?
Required Essays: Answer both essay questions
1. The "Team Fuqua" spirit and community is one of the things that sets The Duke MBA experience apart, and it is a concept that extends beyond the student body to include faculty, staff, and administration. When a new person joins the Admissions team, we ask that person to share with everyone in the office a list of "25 Random Things About Yourself." As an Admissions team, we already know the new hire's professional and academic background, so learning these "25 Random Things" helps us get to know someone's personality, background, special talents, and more.
In this spirit, the Admissions Committee also wants to get to know you—beyond the professional and academic achievements listed in your resume and transcript. You can share with us important life experiences, your likes/dislikes, hobbies, achievements, fun facts, or anything that helps us understand what makes you who you are. Share with us your list of "25 Random Things" about YOU.
Please present your response in list form, numbered 1 to 25. Some points may be only a few words, while others may be longer. Your complete list should not exceed 2 pages.
2. When asked by your family, friends, and colleagues why you want to go to Duke, what do you tell them? Share the reasons that are most meaningful to you.
Your response to this essay question should be no more than 2 pages in length. Please respond fully and concisely using 1.5 line spacing.
If you feel there are extenuating circumstances of which the Admissions Committee should be aware, please explain them in an optional essay (e.g. unexplained gaps in work, choice of recommenders, inconsistent or questionable academic performance, or any significant weakness in your application).
- Do NOT upload additional essays nor additional recommendations in this area of the application.
- The Optional Essay is intended to provide the Admissions Committee with insight into your extenuating circumstances only.
- Limit your response to two pages.
- Please describe the peer group to which you are comparing the applicant.
- Comment on the applicant's interpersonal skills (effectiveness in establishing and maintaining relationships; working with peers, supervisors, and subordinates; willingness to work in a team environment).
- What do you consider the applicant's three primary talents or strengths? Please provide examples, if relevant.
- In what areas does the applicant need improvement or growth? If you have had the opportunity to provide the applicant with constructive feedback, please provide specific examples of the feedback and the applicant's response to it.